| Achievements of Orthoapedics Department
Press coverage on Sri Sathya Sai International Ilizarov Conference 2015
This is the annual conference of the Indian Society of Hip and Knee Surgeons held in Mumbai in April 2015. Dr Koushik Narayan, Junior Consultant presented a paper entitled: “Ilizarov assisted modified resection arthroplasty and arthrodesis of hip for salvage of severely infected total hip arthroplasties"
BOSCON - 2015
This is the annual conferece of the Bangaolre Orthopedic Society held in Bangalore in March 2015. DNB Residents Dr Madhu Sudhan and Dr Abhishek VM presented the following two papers in the conference.
• "Use of modular metal block auguments and medullary stem auguments in Primary TKA - a follow up study"
• "Comparitive study in outcomes surgical treatment for lumbar IVDP - open interlaminar fenestration versus microlumbar discectomy - a prospective study"
In addition, there were 7 posters from the department.
OSSAPCON – 2015
This is the annual conference of the Orthopedic Surgeons’ Society of Andhra Pradesh. Dr Shivakumar, DNB Resident presented three papers on chondral defects of knee, congenital quadriceps contracture and radial club hand.
BOS Meeting - February
Dr Ananth Krishnan, DNB Resident won Best paper award in Bangalore Orthopedic Society meeting – “Ilizarov assisted knee arthrodesis in knee infections”
POSICON - 2015
This is the annual conference of the Pediatric Orthopedic Society of Inida (POSI) that was held in New Delhi in Jan 2015. Dr Koushik Narayan S, Junior Consultant presented a paper on “Ilizarov in complex foot and ankle deformities in children and adolescents”. In addition the department presented four posters on Simple Bone Cyst, Congenital dislocation of knee, radial club hand and elephantiasis neurofibromatosa
Indian Arthroscopy Society Congress
The thirteenth international Indian Arthroscopy Congress was held in Hyderabad in October 2014. This event had participation of faculty and delegates from all over the world. Dr Prakash Khanchandani, Addl Sr Consultant was an invited faculty in this event and he spoke on the Knee workshop topic: "Imaging of the knee and Arthroscopic correlation". He also judged the best poster award for the conference. In the annual general body meeting of the Indian Arthroscopy Society, the Sri Sathya Sai International Orthopaedic Conference on Advances in Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine was well appreciated and applauded.
Presentation in BOS monthly meeting
In November 2014, Dr Ritesh N Bhoskar presented our experience in the role of implant design (cruciate retaining and cruciate sacrificing) in total knee replacement. The topic was well appreciated and invited good discussion among the audience.
Best poster award in National Conference
The poster from SSSIHMS-PG on knee arthrodesis by our DNB trainee Dr Ananth N Krishnan bagged the best poster award in the IOACON-2014 (Indian Orthopaedic Association Conference) held at Hyderabad in November 2014. The conference was attended by 6000 delegates and there were 300 poster presentations out of which ours came first. In addition, Dr Gopal Chandra Patro presented a paper on complex tibial fractures, Dr Ananth N Krishnan presented a paper on complex tibial fractures and two posters - one on developmental dysplasia of hip and the other on deep vein thrombosis.
Best paper award in BOS Meeting
Our DNB trainee Dr Gopal Chandra Patro presented a paper on complex foot deformities in the monthly meeting of the Bangalore Orthopaedic Society and won the best paper award. The content of the paper and the discussion that followed were well appreciated.
Post-graduate Talent Hunt
The BOS – Bangalore Orthopaedic Society talent hunt QUIZ was held in Bangalore on 12th October 2014. The competition was intense with participation of 14 post-graduate teams. There were multiple rounds and each of the rounds was distinct. They were a test of theory and clinical skills which were put through a wide array of questions. The team from SSSIHMS-PG consisting of Dr Ananth N Krishnan and Dr Madhu Sudhan (DNB trainees) bagged second prize in this talent hunt.
ASAMI (Association for the Study and Application of the Method of Ilizarov) is the international organisation of Ilizarov surgeons spanning four continents. In September 2014, the International Conference of this Organisation was held for the first time in India in Goa. In the background of the rich experience of SSSIHMS-PG in this unique Russian technique, the staff and residents of the Orthopaedic Department presented the following papers in this prestigious academic event.
- Resection and bone transport for treatment of benign tumours of tibia - Dr Koushik Narayan, Junior Consultant
- Cosmetic limb lengthening - What are the risks? - Dr Koushik Narayan, Junior Consultant
- Cosmetic limb lengthening - How much to lengthen? - Dr Koushik Narayan, Junior Consultant
- Pre-centralisation distraction in Bayne IV radial club hand using Ilizarov apparatus - Dr Koushik Narayan, Junior Consultant
- Proximal femur bone cyst treated with Ilizarov - a case report - Dr Koushik Narayan, Junior Consultant
- Ilizarov - a boon for pilon fractures? - Dr Ananth N Krishnan, DNB trainee
- Complex tibial plateau fractures - does Ilizarov solve the challenge? - Dr Ritesh N Bhoskar, DNB trainee
- Results of Ilizarov in complex foot and ankle deformities - Dr Abhishek V Mundargi, DNB trainee
- Effectiveness Ilizarov in femoro-tibial fusion - Dr Ananth N Krishnan, DNB trainee
In addition, the department presented the following posters which were unique case reports.
- Treatment of a complex case of elephentiasis neuromatosa with Ilizarov
- Union in non union supracondylar fracture with Ilizarov
Best Paper Award
Dr.Tulja Prasad P. V., Orthopaedic Resident, Department of Orthoapedics,
has secured the best paper award in BOS monthly meeting in June 2015 conducted in Bangalore.
Dr. Tulja Prasad receiving the best paper award
Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy
Dr.Deepak Khandelwal, the first fellowship trainee in "Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy" completed his fellowship in July 2015