|Fellowship in Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine
With immense grace of our beloved lord Sri Sathya Sai Baba, we are commencing a fellowship programme in the department of Orthopaedics in Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy. The goals of the Fellowship are to provide a comprehensive educational, clinical, operative and research training opportunity in Orthopaedic sports medicine and to stimulate our trainees to subsequently provide exemplary clinical care and contribute to future improvements in the general field of Orthopaedic sports medicine.
Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy Fellowship
To provide a comprehensive educational, clinical, operative and research training opportunity in Orthopaedic sports medicine and to stimulate our trainees to subsequently provide exemplary clinical care and contribute to future improvements in the general field of Orthopaedic sports medicine.
Duration : 6 weeks
Learning Experience :
- Outpatient clinic
- Patient assessment – decision making.
- Pre-operative counseling.
- Managing the acutely injured athlete.
- Follow up care of the Athlete
- Non-operative management of Sports injuries.
- Operating rooms
- Basics of Arthroscopy of Knee & Shoulder.
- Arthroscopic reconstruction of Knee ligaments.
- Arthroscopic shoulder stabilization & cuff repair.
- Inpatient care
- Post operative care including pain management.
- Wound care.
- Rehabilitation department
- Basic knowledge of biomechanics of Knee & shoulder.
- Muscle testing.
- Rehab protocols after Knee ligament reconstruction.
- Rehab protocols for Shoulder stabilization & Cuff repair.
- Data Management & research
- Organising data.
- Writing Study protocols.
- Basics of Medical statistics.
- Writing a scientific paper for publication.
- Teaching Residents.
At the end of the Fellowship the fellow should be able to:
- Perform a basic sports medicine specific history and physical.
- Understand the utility of and interpretation of imaging studies for sports medicine.
- Provide thorough and complete written or electronic documentation of patient care (e.g. progress or procedure notes, history and physical exams, consultant notes, discharge summaries), which are legible, timely and use appropriate medical terminology.
- Develop Proficiency in non-operative management of sports related injuries.
- Discuss the clinical techniques and physical examination of the sports related injuries.
- Explain the operative management including arthroscopic surgery, open surgical techniques and other minimal invasive surgical techniques of sports related injuries.
- Diagnose and distinguish ACL, PCL, MCL and posterolateral corner injuries.
- Master diagnostic arthroscopy skills for the knee.
- Demonstrate proficiency in evaluation of meniscal tears and performance of partial meniscectomies.
- Develop skills for graft harvest and preparation of ACL reconstruction - to include patellar tendon autografts, hamstrings autografts and various allografts.
- Able to perform notchplasties and drill tunnels for ACL reconstruction.
- Management of chondral defects.
- Management of Patellofemoral problems.
- Diagnose shoulder instabilities and rotator cuff pathologies.
- Become adept at arthroscopic subacromial decompression and arthroscopic evaluation of rotator cuff pathology.
- Develop knot tying techniques.
- Develop understanding and develop skills in capsular plication and arthroscopic repairs of rotator cuff, Bankart’s lesion and SLAP Lesion.
- Management of Capsulitis of shoulder.
- Garner some experience in ankle, elbow, Hip and Wrist arthroscopy.
1st and 2nd Weeks
- Clinical evaluation and clinic-radiological correlation of sports injuries.
- Departmental PowerPoint presentations.
- Developing treatment strategies for different sports injuries.
- Taking active part in all the academic sessions of the department.
3rd & 4 Weeks
- Developing proficiency in Diagnostic arthroscopy of knee and shoulder.
- To get acquainted with arthroscopic anatomy of knee and shoulder.
- To get acquainted with open surgical procedures.
5th & 6th Weeks
- To develop basic arthroscopic skills in knee and shoulder.
- Garner some experience in ankle, wrist, elbow or hip arthroscopy.
- Wriiten examination - 3 hours - 100 marks
- Viva-voce - 50 marks
Academics Related Queries
Telephone: 08555-287388 Extn 1710.