The Welfare Society (WS) was formed at the instance of Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba in February 1995 with the broad objectives of:
- Welfare services for OPD patients and their attendants by providing them wholesome and hygienic food at nominal rates.
- A good canteen for the staff and sevadal, serving healthy meals in congenial surroundings at reasonable rates.
- Other activities for ensuring safe and healthy living conditions in the campus.
Bhagawan nominated some of the members of the staff who would constitute the nine member General Body, which formed a five member Executive Committee to actively supervise and implement policies and practices in tandem with the General Body.
Active Services provided by the Welfare Society (WS)
- In a spacious, well-equipped canteen building leased from Sri Sathya Sai Medical Trust, the WS runs (a) Staff canteen (120 seats approx) for hospital staff, (b) a second canteen for gents and ladies sevadal (100 seats) and (c) a satellite canteen for patients and patient attendants (150 seats).
- In the residential campus, the WS runs a grocery store, which provides household needs at low prices and is very popular among the campus residents.
- The WS has arranged a cable TV service to the residents in the various apartments in the campus on payment basis.
- The WS also runs an STD booth inside the hospital premises for the benefit of patients and staff.
- The WS has a regular garbage clearance and disposal programme in coordination with the local municipality.